Dear Eternal Love Family,
After a good deal of praying, listening, reading and talking the Eternal Love leadership team has decided that we suspend all public activity here. This decision will be revisited on a weekly basis while we are in this locked down state. Expect an update again next Tuesday for the following week’s activities.
Please hear a short message from our Pastors and then come back.
This impacts Wednesday, 3/18. Yesterday, we canceled the meal. Today responding to current guidance we are canceling the physical service. All 3 congregations involved in our pulpit exchange for lent will be recording their sermons and sharing one each week. St Matthews will but up this week and will post something on the link below at 10am and 6:30pm on Wednesday. FYI. My understanding is that you don’t need to be a “facebook member” to utilize this link, so don’t let that deter you. Please share and pass along to others as your wish. Eternal Love will broadcast the following week and so on.
Here are some reasons and rational for this decision:
- This is an unprecedented time for us. In our lifetimes we have never seen anything like this. It is unique, and may never happen again in our lifetimes.
- This will probably be a temporary situation. It may be several weeks before things begin to return to normal. In the meantime, there is a very serious pandemic that we must cope with.
- Our nation’s leadership is asking us to voluntarily refrain from as much social contact as possible in an effort to contain the spread of this disease.
- As Christians it is our RESPONSIBILITY to do whatever we can to cooperate in this national effort and set a good example for others to do so as well.
- We do not live in a closed community. Our community is exposed to interaction with people from all over through normal economic, business and commercial activities. Every time we go out in public we expose ourselves to a person who has the potential for bringing the virus to our community. And it is possible to be sick and contagious without even knowing it.
- To continue to hold worship services, Bible classes, and other public gatherings at this time is not heroic or “an act of faith.”
- If we continue to hold worship services, Bible Classes and meetings at this time, we are communicating an expectation that people should attend, creating unnecessary guilt if someone chooses not to in order to protect themselves and others.
- We will not all lose our faith in a few weeks.
- God has provided all the resources for us to receive spiritual food (the gospel) through alternate means. We can continue to use mail and email and other digital resources for communicating the gospel to our people in this most unusual moment in time.
- Better safe than sorry. Err on the side of love and caution.
- It is not foolish or “failure to trust in God” for us to stay home and watch Time of Grace, read the Bible and our Meditations, meet over Microsoft Teams until this storm is over.
- We can mail in our offerings, using electronic bill paying, and find other ways of giving to the Lord’s work during this time.
- Temporarily suspending worship and Bible study does not send the message, “Those things are not important or necessary.” In fact, It will help us all realize how much we need those things.
God provides! We have been blessed with wonderful technology options through our recent building project. Now we will put those to use. Our techies are hard at work finding solutions to the technical questions and our Pastors are hard at work considering content and ways that they can continue to serve us the Word of God.
This will unfold before our very eyes and ears. Follow along as follows:
We are hoping to share Sunday worship together in one or both of those locations this weekend at 8am. Stay tuned for more details. Your leaders are listening so please continue share your ideas on how we can keep in touch with each other as we navigate through this time! If you have feedback on the online experience, please send it to me directly at Worship.Director@eternal-love.org.
Keep the Faith,
Your Eternal Love Leadership Team